Friday, October 14, 2011

Episode 5 - In the Bush around An Khe

This was one of my early patrols, possibly my first week in the bush.


I started going out on patrols in June of 1971, in support of FSB Action, Schuler, and Buffalo.

We moved along a steep ridge, mostly through dense jungle. There had been no contact yet but there was considerable evidence of enemy presence.

All my energy was being consumed just by humping my ruck. It was hard work and while all I could do was keep my feet moving, the grunts were alert and focused. They were tough and hardened to the bush. It was common sense that if I was going to survive I needed to be like them.

They were keeping a close eye on me. I admit I felt better with my grunt shadow. Knowing there was always someone watching me was very reassuring but I wanted badly to be accepted.

The opportunity to demonstrate my worth came soon enough. Lt. Sifford wanted a quick recon down the ridge, deeper into the jungle. He thought it was a likely avenue of approach and wanted a mechanical ambush planted.

He was explaining what he wanted to a grunt and told him to take one other man. I was standing right there so I said "I'll go". The response was underwhelming at first. They just looked at me. After a moment the grunt said he would take me and the Lt. told us to move out.

It was a lot different out away from the plt. The bush came alive around us. I stepped where he stepped and we moved silently.

There was a sort of a sloping flat spot in a clearing out of which we could see a trail on the far side. The grunt told me to move around to a position where I could cover him as he set the claymores.

I was to be silent and ready to cover him if anything happened. It would take me a few minutes to move where he wanted me to be. As I moved out, the bush became very dense. I got to a point where I could see him checking out the clearing and looking for the best spot for the mechanical ambush.

There was a largish mound near me that I thought would give me a better view into the clearing. As I stepped on the top of the mound the ground gave way beneath me and I plunged into the earth. My arms were pushed above my head and the dirt was tight around me.

It was like I was standing in a vertical tunnel. The opening was 1 & ½ to 2 feet above my up-stretched arms. I was standing on a hard uneven surface. I was afraid to move or even lift my feet but I could flex my knees just a little and it seemed there was a opening somewhere down below. From the hips up I was wedged very tight.

I could see my hands in the light above me and the jungle above that. I knew I needed help to get out but also that I had to be quiet and not move around. I imagined booby traps and punjis or worse all around me.

After some time went by I knew I would be missed and I really hoped the grunt would look for me. I strained to hear a sound but the hole was silent.

It would be real hard to see this hole from outside. You could be next to it and never see it. I tried snapping my fingers. It was a sound that wouldn't carry far but would attract nearby attention. Quite a while went by before I started making slight clicking and "psssstt" sounds. I was thinking that sooner or later I would have to wiggle myself down into the hole and feel around for punjis or wires.

The terror of being trapped threatened to overwhelm me but it was like a switch flipped and I became an observer. Like it was happening to someone else.

Then my hole went dark. I looked up and he was right there. I remember the light was on his face and he said something like "Jesus Doc. Don't fuckin' move. I'm going for some help".

I don't know how long that took but it seemed like quite a while before he was back with the Lt. and 2 more grunts. They held a dry emotionless conversation about my predicament.

The Lt. tried to shine a light around and down but I was packed in tight. They figured that I was in a ventilation tunnel, likely trapped in some way or facing an old booby-trap that wasn't functioning properly. The bush was hard on booby traps.

The Lt. proposed pulling me out with a rope so if there was an explosive no one else would buy it with me. The Sgt. said I was more likely to have punjis around me and dragging me out like that would fuck me up for sure. Two of them said they would reach in and pull me straight up. The Lt told them that he liked the rope idea but that it was up to them if they wanted to pull me out. It was weird hearing them discuss my situation and what might happen.

The Lt. and one guy backed off and 2 grunts crouched over the hole. They reached down and we locked wrists. They pulled me up, and dove to the sides. Just like that and I was out.

The Lt. went back to the hole and shined his light in. He called me over to look. I felt that I had seen enough of the hole but he said I should see it.

My eyes focused into the depth. There was a dead dink in there. It was a fucking grave. I was standing on a dink's busted up ribcage. The Lt. asked me if I wanted to go back in for a souvenir. I declined.

1 comment:

  1. The last paragraph was very striking. It gives great insight onto how casual soldiers have to become about death when surrounded by it. It is contrasted nicely with your shocked reaction as you have just arrived in this new, dangerous world.

    ReplyDelete